Thursday 24 January 2008

Annoying Hoax E-mails

One thing that really annoys me is when I receive hoax e-mails warning me that if I receive an e-mail called "whatever" that I shouldn't open the attachment it comes with as it will make my computer blow up or something.

I appreciate the warning, but 99% of these e-mails are a load of crap. As are the kind of stupid e-mails about poor little Timmy who is dieing and that if we forward the e-mail on to a million people then Microsoft or ______ (insert large corporate name here) are going to pay for his treatment!

So I urge people, if you receive one of these hoax e-mails, before forwarding it on to everyone in your contact list and causing mass panic, please just check to see if the e-mail is authentic.

Just by Googleing the subject of the e-mail you will get half a dozen websites telling you whether its fake or not.


A good website to use is Hoax-Slayer. They have a complete list of all junk e-mails that are being sent around and tell you if they are real or not.

If there not real, then reply back to the person who sent you the e-mail and copy all the people they sent it to and tell them that the e-mail is a hoax and ask them to stop wasting your time and tell them to check before they send it. If everyone follows my advise then in a few years no one will be forwarding these rubbish e-mails.

note: Maybe I should start my own chain e-mail and send this advise to everyone. That way this could be the only chain e-mail in existence and will do everyone a favour ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, thanks! totally agree!